www.japanskates.com

www.japanskates.com Forum Index

FAQ Search  Memberlist Usergroups Register Profile  Log in to check your private messages Log in 

Deductions for falling.. Wasnt Akiko really the best skater?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.japanskates.com Forum Index -> Japan Skates Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbayer3741

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Deductions for falling.. Wasnt Akiko really the best skater? Reply with quote

I enjoyed the Canada skating competition immensely .. and Akiko and Kanako did Japan proud coming in 2nd and 3rd..... Grace Gold looked awesome for someone her age .. Ms. Osmond, the winner on points, also was very likeable and impressive, regardless of her young age. BUT .. I will never understand why there is a 1 point deduction ONLY where the winners often end up close to 200 points total .. That means any fall is less than 1 percent in deduction ... I can still recall Peter Chan falling 3 times in one competition and still winning by a landslide ..which was beyond ludricous ... This has to change because Ms. Osmond should not be squeaking by Akiko when her butt hits the ice and Akiko's does not ... not when the deduction is so darn small.. I would like to see a mininum of a 5 point deduction .. or go back to the 6 point system of judging .. Anyway .. Congratulations and a standing ovation for Kanako and Akiko ..
Mark at Japan Skates
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a number of people have commented, publicly, that someone who falls, especially multiple times, should have more severe deductions. In this case, Akiko did at least win the free skate... she really was the best on the night... just didn't have the points to overcome the gap after the short program.

1 Akiko SUZUKI JPN 120.04 60.22 59.82 7.57 7.25 7.57 7.43 7.57 0.00
2 Kaetlyn OSMOND CAN 115.89 57.28 59.61 7.32 7.25 7.61 7.46 7.61 1.00

Personally though, I thought a lot more of Akiko's program and components than Kaetlyn's. Surprised that the programs were that closely scored to begin with.

Last edited by Mark at Japan Skates on Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark at Japan Skates
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Twiiter Reply with quote

Also Bob, if you'd like to keep contributing your opinions (and we hope you do), please join us on Twitter. That's where the action is.

http://twitter.com/japanskates

The Forum has become more of a place for our commentary when we attend events... you will interact more with other fans at our Twitter page. Our Japanese correspondent does most of the posting but she posts in both languages.
bobbayer3741

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark at Japan Skates wrote:
Yes, a number of people have commented, publicly, that someone who falls, especially multiple times, should have more severe deductions. In this case, Akiko did at least win the free skate... she really was the best on the night... just didn't have the points to overcome the gap after the short program.

1 Akiko SUZUKI JPN 120.04 60.22 59.82 7.57 7.25 7.57 7.43 7.57 0.00
2 Kaetlyn OSMOND CAN 115.89 57.28 59.61 7.32 7.25 7.61 7.46 7.61 1.00

Personally though, I thought a lot more of Akiko's program and components than Kaetlyn's. Surprised that the programs were that closely scored to begin with.

Mark . thank you for saying this .. I feel like I am insane or something when I see how the judges score things... I mean .. isnt it common sense to do give some deductions greater than one half of one percent? And how can any one sane give all or almost all the points for a successful jump where someone lands on their butt?!

Thank you Mark!

Really enjoyed the China Grand Prix last night .. Japanese skaters ROCK! : Very Happy

Last edited by bobbayer3741 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobbayer3741

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Twiiter Reply with quote

Mark at Japan Skates wrote:
Also Bob, if you'd like to keep contributing your opinions (and we hope you do), please join us on Twitter. That's where the action is.

http://twitter.com/japanskates

The Forum has become more of a place for our commentary when we attend events... you will interact more with other fans at our Twitter page. Our Japanese correspondent does most of the posting but she posts in both languages.

Thanks again for this Mark!! Will give it a go .. Go NIPPON! Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.japanskates.com Forum Index -> Japan Skates Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: