www.japanskates.com

www.japanskates.com Forum Index

FAQ Search  Memberlist Usergroups Register Profile  Log in to check your private messages Log in 

Skate Canada 2010

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.japanskates.com Forum Index -> Japan Skates Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark at Japan Skates
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Skate Canada 2010 Reply with quote

Gregg, Gigi and I will be at Skate Canada in late October. We will cover the event as press and hope to bring you great photos and interviews. We especially hope to chat with newcomer Haruka Imai.

Stay tuned!
valley girl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be so happy if you could get an interview with Imai!

there's not much known about her, is there? Hopefully she'll have a good senior gp debut this year.
yukisnowflake

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark:

I look forward to seeing you all at Sk. Can. (Kingston). Very Happy
yukisnowflake

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Sept. I subscribed to the tv cable station TV JAPAN.
I thought I would try it out because I'm bored with US & Can. tv shows & I also figured I could watch NHK & other skating shows out of Japan.

I just finished watching 2010 NHK Trophy Ladies SP's (on my TV JAPAN channel.)
I enjoyed it so much.
I'm not surprised that Mao is behind the others in the SP (usually she is) but, I'm shocked she is in 8th place.) I'm sure she will improve in the LP.
I like Kanako Murakami. She showed much sparkle. But her program showed she is Jr. skater in her debut as a Sr.
Seems she can do all elements equally well.
I really liked Kira Korpi's 'Over The Rainbow' SP. The music & her interpretation plus her skating skills & presentation.

I'm curious to see if C. Kostner will keep it together for the LP.
valley girl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukisnowflake, is it an online Japanese channel subscription you are talking about?
If so, what are the subscription rates?
yukisnowflake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valley girl wrote:
yukisnowflake, is it an online Japanese channel subscription you are talking about?
If so, what are the subscription rates?

Hi valley girl:

Because I bought recently a Digital DVR(PVR) & I subsribe to some digital channels via my cable provider I decided to add the TV JAPAN channel. It is extra to get it. It airs shows from The NHK channel.
One can get it in the US & Canada. Depends where you live.
I live in Canada (Ontario) & it cost me $20.00 CDN (twenty dollars) per month on top of my dgital cable bill.

Here is the link to the English TV Japan web page:
http://japanskates.com/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&p=276
There is a side bar which informs you how to suscribe.
Dish or Cable or IPTV when you click the one you choose you then get a screen with a map ot US (top of page) & Canada(bottom of page).

I hope the link works & that the info is helpful.

Enjoy the skating season!
valley girl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sorry, yukisnowflake, I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about an online subscription akin to the one icenetwork provides (albeit Japanese). Embarassed

Thank you for the info anyway. So sweet of you to reply so swiftly. Smile
Mark at Japan Skates
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Skate Canada - Ladies SP Reply with quote

Hi readers!

Here we are at Skate Canada, and we're having a great time. Good to see Nobunari in the lead in the men's event, and the Japanese ladies within striking distance of a medal.

The ladies' short program took place Friday morning and sees Haruka in sixth and Fumie in eighth. Haruka had a very energetic performance to "Gypsy Dance" and seem thrilled when she came off the ice. She was downgraded on her 3F but received postive GOEs for all other elements. She had an overall score of 52.52. A strong performance in the free skate could vault her on to the podium. She skates to Borodin's dynamic "Polovtsian Dances" tonight... just watched her in warm-up and she looked generally on top of her jumps, with one fall, working mainly on spins.

Fumie did not leave the same impression to Albinoni's Adagio - struggling the entire way through, receiving negative GOEs for the three jumps, including a wrong edge judgement on her 3Lz-2T combination to begin. She was given a score of 48.17. Her music tonight is by Vangelis and looks to be the right vehicle for her style (choreographed by Lori Nichol). Let's hope for big things from her.

More to come!

Last edited by Mark at Japan Skates on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:47 am; edited 3 times in total
Mark at Japan Skates
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Skate Canada - Mens SP Reply with quote

I arrived in time to watch Nobunari skate. Yasuharu Nanri had already set down a strong SP, with a score of 61.00 and finished in eighth overall at the end of the night.

Nobunari skated to "Storm" by Yoshida brothers. It was interesting to hear the TV commentators say that coach Lee Barkell wants Nobu to "tone down" his choreography to concentrate more on successful execution. That was obvious in his program. To me, the performance seemed rather flat, although well done. He opened with a strong 3A, followed by a very smooth 3F-3T combination. The ensuing spin was rather slow, but he followed up with a successful 3F and then a faster spin. Interesting footwork led into the final combination spin. The program seemed to lack speed generally, and Nobunari himself looked very engaged in his set-up for all elements. The scores told the tale, though... he sits in first place with strong designs for the gold. Perhaps this is the best way for Nobu to go at the moment. His score was 81.37. Grieg's Piano Concertos today will be a definite contrast with the atmospheric music of the SP.

We hope to speak with Nobunari at some point this weekend. Stay tuned!
Mark at Japan Skates
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Skate Canada - Ladies FS Reply with quote

I am in the press row here in Kingston to bring you my comments on the ladies free skate.

Fumie skated to the exotic "Bagoa's Dance" by Vangelis and to "Song of Sheherazade". She wore purple pants rather than a skirt.

She began with a succesful 3Lz-2T combination; the Lutz looking close to two-footed. She fell awkwardly on the 3F, her favourite jump, but was back on track with a 3T. The opening jumps were followed by the spin and the spiral sequence. She popped a 3Lz into a single, and doubled a 3S. She then turned out of another 3F attempt. She did two 2As in sequence, spin, footwork which was very good and innovative, and then her final spin combo. The program received 84.67 with the mandatory deduction, and overall she scored 130.84, second overall at that point but likely to place her ninth overall.

The audience response was rather muted. I liked the moody and exotic music (always a Vangelis fan) and footwork, but the problems with the jumps brought the audience down.

Haruka has just skated. Although the Polovtsian Dances (Borodin) is used a lot in skating, I like it and thought it was a good choice for Haruka's first foray into international senior skating. She sported a sharp blue dress appropriate for a young skater.

She began with a very impressive series of jumps, a 2A-3T combo reminiscent of Yu-Na, then a successful 3Lz and then the 3F. The flying spin travelled somewhat but had good speed. She then fell on a 3L attempt and did not complete the 2T in combination. The spiral sequence followed, then a very impressive 3S-2T-2T combination, then a strong 3L-2T combo, and then a successful solo 3S. The second spin was next, then a bright footwork sequence that was loose in places but made good use of the music as the Dances swelled in dynamics. The final spin combo rounded out the program. She missed the music slightly at the end, but was within time. As in the short program, she seemd very happy at the end of the program, smiling and waving. For the program, she received a first-place mark of 102.02, and 154.54 overall, good for first at that point... she will likely finish just off the podium.

A good night of skating so far... stay tuned for more!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.japanskates.com Forum Index -> Japan Skates Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: