www.japanskates.com

www.japanskates.com Forum Index

FAQ Search  Memberlist Usergroups Register Profile  Log in to check your private messages Log in 

2015 Canadian Nationals - Japan Skates exclusive interviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.japanskates.com Forum Index -> Japan Skates Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark at Japan Skates
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: 2015 Canadian Nationals - Japan Skates exclusive interviews Reply with quote

Looking to the future with Eri Nishimura
Mark interviewed Eri NISHIMURA @ 2015 Canadian Nationals

Some of you may remember our 2008 interview with a young Japanese skater who had just starting competing in the Canadian system. That interview became in demand following the 2010 Canadian Championships, when Eri Nishimura took the junior title.

The next few years were difficult ones for Eri, as she entered the senior level and grew physically. Today, we present you a revitalized Eri who is having the time of her life as a figure skater.
Japan Skates caught up with Eri at the 2015 Canadian Nationals, at which she had two excellent programs and finished in the top ten,

JS: Congratulations on your program. How do you feel about it?

EN: Good! It was fun to skate and I really enjoyed my performance.

JS: What were your goals for this season?

EN: Actually, I wasn't expecting to be here because at the Skate Canada Challenge I didn't skate very well. I was the second alternate for this competition. It was really a surprise. I was really happy to be here because coming into this season my goal was to make it to Nationals and to skate well at Nationals. So I'm really happy that I got to come here and enjoy skating.

JS: How about for next season?

EN: For next season, I feel like I can improve a lot more and that there's a lot more in me. I really want to continue skating and balance it with my academics because I also study at University of Toronto. For next season I want to come back stronger with more triples, and making sure all of my triples are clean and good quality. I also want to do a triple-triple next season and to work on presentation.

JS: Is the triple Lutz in your future?

EN: Yes, triple Lutz too!

JS: What are you studying at U of T?

EN: I am studying Life Sciences, and my goal is to become a sports doctor. So, I want to continue that path as well.

JS: You've been with Lee Barkell for as long as I've known you. When did you move to the Cricket Club?

EN: I moved three years ago. I was living in Barrie before with my grandmother since my parents are in Japan. My grandma had to go back to Japan, so I moved to a boarding school in Toronto. So that's why I moved to Toronto Cricket Club. And I really love it there!

JS: In 2010, you became the Canadian junior champion, then you went to the senior level and weren't back at the Nationals for a few years. But here you are now! What motivates you? What kept you going the whole time?

EN: I think it's just the love for skating. I really love skating, and that's what keeps me going. After I won junior, it was a hard few years, but I think that was because a lot of things changed. I grew, and also my environment changed. But now I feel like I'm back on track and I want to keep going.

JS: Congratulations and it was nice seeing you again.

EN: Thank you!
Mark at Japan Skates
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Marika Steward interview Reply with quote

Getting to know Marika Steward
Mark interviewed Marika STEWARD @ 2015 Canadian Nationals

By Mark Stephens with photography by Gregg Vereb
January 24, 2015 in Kingston, Ont.
(c) 2015 Japan Skates

Marika Steward is Japanese-Canadian skater who lives and trains in Sendai, Japan. Her Canadian father is the principal of an international school there.

Marika and her sister Taia both compete for Canada internationally. Japan Skates had the pleasure of meeting Marika in the Mixed Zone at the 2015 Canadian Nationals. She'd had a strong free skate and finished 12th overall.

JS: How do you feel about your program and your competition today?

MS: I'm very happy with my program. Of course, I would like to have landed the flip that I missed, but really I'm so very happy with my skate.

JS: What were your goals coming into this season?

MS: Most importantly, I wanted to make Nationals. Last year, actually, I was injured, so I wasn't able to put out my best skate. So I just wanted to come back, and to come back strong, and I think that I did that.

JS: You're a student at an international school in Sendai?

MS: Well, I live in Japan. I live in Sendai where my dad is the head of the international school there. I go to his school, technically, but I'm also doing lots of correspondence courses through the University of Nebraska, just so that I can get more training time in the day.

JS: What are your goals for next season?

MS: To make Nationals again and to put up two better skates.

JS: Thank you so much for your time!

MS: Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.japanskates.com Forum Index -> Japan Skates Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: