www.japanskates.com

www.japanskates.com Forum Index

FAQ Search  Memberlist Usergroups Register Profile  Log in to check your private messages Log in 

Skate Canada 2011

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.japanskates.com Forum Index -> Japan Skates Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark at Japan Skates
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Skate Canada 2011 Reply with quote

Japan Skates is here in the media room at Skate Canada 2011 in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. Gregg and I will bring you coverage and photos of the event regularly over the course of this long weekend. Looking forward to seeing Akiko and Daisuke. We may have a special feature to offer you as well. Stay tuned!
Mark at Japan Skates
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Akiko - SP practice Reply with quote

Just finished watching Akiko practice her SP this morning in Mississauga. She had a very successful session, landing all jumps attempted. A trademark aggressive practice from Akko.

Instead of merely skating through her "Hungarian Rhapsody" program, she attempted and completed all elements... jumps were 3T/3T, some footwork into 3Z, and 2A. She also performed her footwork sequence and spin combinations. Wore the sleek silver and black dress that she'll be wearing in competition later on.

Looking forward to the SP later today... If Akko is in the top three, we'll record her comments at the press conference for you.
Mark at Japan Skates
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Akiko not favoured by press Reply with quote

A quote from Canadian news source TSN... Akiko not mentioned among ladies favourites. Hopefully she will still excel and medal in the event!

WOMEN

Russia's Alena Leonova, 20, who was fourth at the 2011 world championship after winning the 2009 world junior title, is the favourite.

Other podium candidates: Mirai Nagasu, 18, of the United States, who was fourth at fourth at the Olympics and seventh at the world championships in 2010 but absent from the 2011 world meet. German champion Sarah Hecken, 18; American Rachael Flatt, 19; and Canadian champion Cynthia Phaneuf, 23, of Brossard, Que. Hecken was 11th, Flatt 12th and Phaneuf 13th at the 2011 world championships.

Other Canadians: Amelie Lacoste of Delson, Que., No. 3 in Canada and 16th in the world; and Adriana Desanctis, 23, of Barrie, Ont., No. 5 in Canada.
Mark at Japan Skates
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Ladies SP Reply with quote

The Ladies short program here in Mississauga was a rather uninspiring affair, with the star of the show clearly young Elizaveta Tuktamisheva of Russia. Skating second, she score 59.57 with no deductions. The diminutive Tuktamsheva is only 14 but is the World Junior silver medallist. Her jumps were strong and clean, with only her spins requiring some work.

Akiko sits in fourth and in medal contention but needs to make up almost a point and a half on third place Rachael Flatt. She was tenth and last to skate. As always, Akiko had energy and delivered on her footwork. Highest GOEs went to her program-closing spins. Her Program Components were also scored among the highest (along with Mirai Nagasu).

The single loop following her opening triple toe loop invalidated the combination and received a -3 from all judges. Her triple Lutz was deemed to have had the wrong edge on take-off and was given negative GOEs from all but one of the judges. Akiko knew she could easily have done a little better, and motioned to her head following the performance. She sizzled in silver, however!

Akiko's details are as follows...

1 3T+1L 2.50 (-2.10 GOE)
2 3Z 5.00 (-1.00 GOE)
3 FCSp4 3.49
4 2A 3.59
5 CCoSp4 3.93
6 SISt3 4.30
7 LSp3 3.33

Total Elements 26.14

Skating Skills 6.93
Transition/Linking Footwork 6.39
Performance/Execution 6.68
Choreography/Composition 6.75
Interpretation 6.61

Total Program Components 26.68

Deductions 0.00

Total Segment Score 52.82

Last edited by Mark at Japan Skates on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:26 pm; edited 5 times in total
Mark at Japan Skates
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Pairs SP Reply with quote

Narumi Takahashi and Mervin Tran sit in third place after the pairs SP with their first-ever 60+ score in competition. I just attended the press conference and recorded some of their comments. Will post tonight!

Looking forward to Daisuke in the Mens SP this evening.
Mark at Japan Skates
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Akiko - FS practice Reply with quote

Hi readers!

Just finished watching Akiko's practice. Again, she was very aggressive and went through most of her program. She skated strongly and with confidence and got a strong reception from those in attendance.

Her planned content for "Die Fledermaus Overture" tonight is as follows...

1 3Z
2 2A+3T
3 3L
4 CCoSp
5 FCSp
6 ChSp
7 3L+2L+2L
8 3Z+2L
9 3F
10 3S
11 SlSt
12 FCCoSp

Photos of Akiko in her light blue costume are at the site, courtesy of Gregg. No doubt Akiko will blossom in blue tonight!
Mark at Japan Skates
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Akiko - FS Reply with quote

As I type these words, Akiko is stepping on the podium as the silver medallist at the 2011 Skate Canada International. She won the FS with a score of 119.44.

Akiko had a solid skate to "Die Fledermaus" Overture, hitting all her elements except the following... her 2A-3T was a 1A-3T and her 3Z combination (with 2L) was only 3Z-1T and therefore not scored as a combo. She also spun out somewhat on the landing of her 3L earlier in the program. Still, very solid and we interviewed Akiko briefly in the Mixed Zone and again during the press conference. More to come on that!

Her content:

1 3Z
2 1A+3T
3 3L
4 CCoSp
5 FCSp
6 ChSp
7 3L+2T+2L
8 3Z+1T
9 3F
10 3S
11 SlSt
12 FCCoSp

As always, her step sequences were joyous and a great way to end the program.

The Russian national anthem is playing in the rink right now, with Akiko beaming in second place!
Mark at Japan Skates
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Daisuke - Mens FS Reply with quote

The mens free skate has just ended, and as I type Daisuke is accepting his bronze medal. He had a solid program with a few lapses, skating to "Blues for Klook".

Content was:

1 4T (two footed)
2 3A
3 3S (hand down)
4 CCSp
5 ClSt
6 FCCoSp
7 3A (fell out of jump, could not do 2T in combo)
8 3F+3T
9 3L
10 3Z+2T (did not perform 2L at end)
11 3F
12 ChSt
13 CCoSp

Press conference is coming up shortly and I will ask him a few questions that our readers have asked about. Stay tuned!
Mark at Japan Skates
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Daisuke interview Reply with quote

Hi readers! For the very first time, Japan Skates has interviewed Daisuke Takahashi. We'll be posting the interview in the coming week or so, as it takes time to get approval to post it. Had a great time!

Gregg will be photographing the Exhibition Gala, to start in a few minutes. The Japanese featured will be Takahashi/Tran, Daisuke and Akiko. Stay tuned for great photos!
yukisnowflake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: 2011 Skate Canada Reply with quote

Hi Mark:

Again it was a pleasure to see & chat with you at this competition.

Thanks to you, Gregg & Gigi for all you did at this competition & indeed all the skating comps.
Have seen the photos of 2011 Skate Canada posted so far on japanskates
main page & they are fab as usual.

I'm so looking forward to your interview of Daisuke being posted.
I finally got a picture of me with Daisuke at 2011 Sk. Can.
(being trying since 2006 Sk. Can. (Victoria BC).
(He is always mobbed by so many fans).

At 2011 Sk. Can. I met someone, who came from LA, who is a big fan of Daisuke & this fan had also been trying on several occasions to get his picture with Daisuke.

Daisuke is so sweet, gracious & patient with all his fans & he consented to let us be photographed with him.

I also was happy to see Akiko Suzuki again & was thrilled she remembered me from 2010 Sk. Can. (Kitchener) & we got photographed together.
I had a great time at 2011 Sk. Can. in Mississauga seeing some spirited skating performances.

Met many new skating fans from various countries (which is another part of attending competitions which I love).
Again I met many Japanese skating fans old & new that travelled from Japan for this comp.
I'm always amazed & happy at the number of them that attend comps. in Canada. Thank you for coming.

As usual I gifted the skaters with stuffed toys (a.k.a.'stuffies').
After Daisuke & Akiko skated their short programs I gave them each a fish.
After Daisuke's long program I gave him a 'graduation turtle'.
Among all the items he was gifted after his long program, I was ever so thrilled when in the K'n'C he sat holding the turtle.

After Akiko's long program skate I gave her a 'white baby seal'.

I hope they like the gifts I gave them.

Well next competition for me (& my stuffies') is the Grand Prix Final in Quebec City QC.

See you there Mark.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.japanskates.com Forum Index -> Japan Skates Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: